Wednesday, May 6, 2015

My Favorite (right now) Breakfast Smoothie

Morning!

Lately I have been doing the smoothie thing for breakfast, no that it isn't so cold outside. Having a smoothie on the wrong morning can leave me chilly all day and unable to get warm. My smoothies are usually a variation of the following ingredients - protein powder, coconut milk, PB2, instant coffee, kale, spinach, ice, frozen fruit and flax or chia seeds. 

Lately I have been drawn to the coffee focused smoothie. And lets be real....Coffee is the best. 

Smoothie Ingredients

1 C. So Delicious Unsweetened Vanilla
1 C. Ice Cubes 
1 Packet Via - or other instant coffee that you like
1 Scoop Plant Fusion Vanilla Protein Powder
1/4 C. Ground Flax Seed

Put all in blender and blend until smooth....
Pour into favorite cup or drink right out of the blender. I have done both. 

Tip: Rinse blender out as soon as you are done with it. If the ground flax seed dries it is stuck like glue. 

When looking at smoothies I like to know how much protein I am getting and how much fiber there is. Both protein and fiber take longer to digest than simple sugars, and will leave you feeling fuller for longer. When consuming liquid meals I tend to get hungry hangry a little sooner than if I had just eaten a plain old meal. 

Protein Content: 27 g
Fiber Content: 9 g

I like to include flax into my smoothies because of its awesome nutritional profile and the amazing benefits. Flax contains Omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3 FA have anti inflammatory properties and help to reduce inflammation all over the body. In addition to the the fats, flax also contains both soluble and insoluble fiber to aid in digestion.

Flax should always be stored in the fridge to keep it from going rancid. And if possible, it is always best to grind it yourself. I purchase already ground seed due to living so close to Bob's Red Mill, in addition to going through it so fast - 1/4 cup a day in a 16 ounce package is roughly 17 servings. 

Questions for the Day (or week - I still don't blog all that often!)

1. Do you prefer flax or chia seeds in smoothies?

2. What is your favorite protein powder? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?