Monday, May 12, 2014

New Kicks!

On Sunday after a long day at class (yes...class on weekends...medical school is ruthless), I went to pick up my lovely friend and role model, Dana, and we went and picked up some shoes. I haven't been running in a long time. I use to be a pseudo runner...I 'competed' in a few races before I started medical school. It was fun, but I never stuck with it after school got going (got going = 4ish weeks before we actually started class 3 years ago). But, with my Whole 30 success, I was inspired, I use to like running, and I thought that it would be good to get going again. Goodbye Adidas - you have been great.




I bought my shoes from Road Runner Sports in Tualatin, Oregon. I love this place because they have fit experts who will take all kinds of crazy measurements and help you find the right shoes. Althoug the guy who fitted my shoes wanted to sell me some 'custom fit' insole arch support something or another. I was not interested, which resulted in an eye role...It is okay Parker...no hard feelings. However, Road Runner Sports will allow you to exchange your shoes with in 90 days if you decide that they are not just the right fit.Which is good enough for me. 

But, I am pretty sure that these will work....and not only because they are beautiful. I am excited for the adventures that they will bring and the places I will go. I haven't picked anything to start with; a race, a distance, a time. I am hoping that I will just get out there and see what feels good. Couch to 5 K anyone?

I am excited about the prospect of these sky blue wonderful shoes. But I am scared. I frequently start things, and then don't finish them. I get excited and buy what I need, and then I don't follow through because I feel like I am not doing 'good enough.' I am scared of failing. I am scared of not doing well as the super fit women in my class at school. I am scared of looking like a poser. (I know, no one has used this word since 1998). I don't want to be 'that girl' who starts things all the time and then never finishes them. It is very defeating. 

I compare my self to my favorite bloggers, Julie from http://www.pbfingers.com/, and Ashley from my http://www.myfoodnfitnessdiaries.com/  Ashley and Julie always look beautiful after a workout, they are God-fearing women, have amazing diets, have beautiful families and wonderful and exciting lives. Ashley is on her way  to becoming a group fitness instructor, and Julie is already. I want to be them. They are the standard I hold myself to.

However, I think I might be the only one who is making this comparison. On the radio yesterday I heard the DJ say "you should stop comparing your behind the scenes footage to everyone else's highlight real". Some good advice. Not just when thinking about my fitness abilities in reference to my favorite blogger or my classmates.It is so hard to not compare your self to those around you. But, God made me unique, and not like these women at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Penny for your thoughts?